Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

39 vs 40 tooth engine belt sprocket

So my primary belt is too tight and the transmission adjusted all the way forward, so I decided that a 39 tooth front pulley would be the way to get everything to fit.

For what it's worth I was running a 62-40 SK3 kit with the BDL-30853 BE "Bullseye" Belt. BDL number convention breaks that out as 62 tooth clutch basket, 40 tooth engine sprocket, S for splined engine sprocket, K for kick only(no e starter ring.), and I have no idea what the 3 means. BDL lists this as a kit for 1965-1978.  It's too tight on my rigid frame of unknown origin.

Swapping the engine sprocket to 39 tooth will give me the same set-up as a 62-39 SK2 kit which BLD lists as fitting a 1955-1964. As it turns out this is the kit I should have started with.

First let's look the actual diametrical differences between the 39 and 40 tooth pulley. The 39 is smaller of course.


With just a very basic reference measurement the 40 tooth is 3.985 inches across.


Using the same methodology the 39 tooth is 3.890 inches. So about 0.100 inch difference; which doesn't seem like a lot.


Here's the cold belt tension with the 40 tooth sprocket.
Here's the cold belt tension with the 39 tooth sprocket with everything else the same. That's actually a bit on the loose side.
Look at how much slack there is. I'm considering running a standard belt instead of a bulls-eye because it actually fit just about right.


Time to tear down the clutch and swap the transmission 23 tooth sprocket for a 25 to get my gearing back in order. Ugh, more unplanned stuff.  The lower left stud has decent enough thread to hold things together, but the stud has a bunch of lateral play and is leaking. I knew this already and tried to fix it with plumber's tape, but yeah that didn't work. Now I need to fix that. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment