Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Busted Pew

I have to go back to techniques from my furniture building days for this repair. This church pew is busted so I need to fix it.

The guy's fix didn't hold either.

Take out the last screws holding this thing together.

Look, another previous repair attempt.

This tool will drill a pilot hole and counter sink for the new screws.

The counter sink isn't big enough for the dowel to cover the screw to fit in.

So I drilled a counterbore too.

Some glue on the mating surfaces couldn't hurt anything.

The first screw is in and the dowel is glued in over it.

Since I didn't what to scratch up the verneer on the piece, I used a piece of heavy stock to protect it while I flush cut the dowel. If I was working on an unfinished piece I would sand these flat, but I don't think I will on this repair, because there would be a bunch of restaining to do.

New screws and dowels where the old repairs were too. I think I will hit those with some stain and they will be less noticeable.

Brad nail the trim pieces back on and this thing is better than new.

No comments:

Post a Comment