Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Common parts Keihin CV40 Harley and CVK Kawasaki Vulcan

I accidentally published this post without any explanation the first time. Sorry.

Contrary to what your average bike night hero will tell you about Harley being all 'merikan. Evo and evo sporty carb's are Keihin and made in Japan. More importantly, contrary to what your average computer jockey partsman at the Kawasaki stealership will tell you, some readily available and cheaper Harley carb parts will work in your Vulcan 1500 carb.

Here's a typical Kawasaki CVK parts diagram for 1500 Vulcan Classic. The numbers are reference numbers not full part numbers.



Here's the list of parts that are common and not common between the Harley CV and the Kawa CV. This is not complete, but it's the ones I know for sure.

COMMON PARTS: Readily available from your local independent Harley shop.
Slow(Pilot) Jets (92064/A)
Top Cap(14025)
Slide Diaphram(16126). Easy to tear up and the Harley part is like $50 and the Kawa is over $100.
Accelerator Pump Diaphram(16014). $10 for Harley one, $40 for a Kawa one.
Accelerator Pump U-ring(92093)
Air Screw, spring, o-ring and washer(16014).
Fuel inlet elbow(shown, but not numbered). If your plastic one breaks get the all brass one from Harley.

ALMOST COMMON PARTS:
Harley main jets will not directly replace Kawa main jets(92036/A~D). However if you replace the Kawa emulsion tube(13280) with a Harley emulsion tube, then you can run any Harley mainjet.

NOT COMMON PARTS:
Float(16031)
Float Bowl O-ring(92055A)


Here's the not common comparison of float bowl O-rings.

Here's the common accelerator pump u-rings side-by-side.

26 comments:

  1. I got mine from a local independent harley shop. I don't know the part number, but they should have it. A full kit with a spring and diaphragm, too, should be under $20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to locate a needle (16009) for my '97 Vulcan 1500. Any chance you know the equivalent Harley part number?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check the parts microfiche for a Keihin part number in the description. Sometimes those are listed sometimes they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cracked open my 1995 Vulcan 800A CVK36 carb my accelerator diaphragm is torn and bad but there is no spring, is that normal? Bikebandit shows a spring on the parts diagram with an exception NOT REQUIRED FOR 16001-1009. I plan to replace with a the HD part but can't seem to find the spring. Should there be a spring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure a CV 40 slide will fit a a 36. I haven't been into an 800 carb though,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A link here shows the diaphragm but no mention or picture of the spring.
      http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot.com/2012/06/keihin-cv-accelerator-pump.html

      I think my question was misunderstood is there a spring under the accelerator pump housing for the CVK40 and maybe if somebody knows for the CVK36? Or in other words it there a (92081) pressing on the (43028) diaphragm (from the parts breakdown above)? I know there is a spring for the slide needle and diaphragm as it is there. I am missing a spring under the accelerator pump bottom cap and there is a mention of an exception but I don't know if it applies.

      Delete
    2. Oops. I totally missed your question. The accelerator pump should have a spring. I don't see how it open to fill up with a gas otherwise. A HD or SS pump kit is less than $20 so it's not a huge gamble to buy one and try it.

      Delete
    3. Awesome thank you. I found a spring at a local hardware store. Putting the new diaphragm in tomorrow. I didn't think it was normal to find none in there.

      Delete
    4. Awesome thank you. I found a spring at a local hardware store. Putting the new diaphragm in tomorrow. I didn't think it was normal to find none in there.

      Delete
  6. I need a complete set of gasket's/seal's for the CVK40,any idea what the part number would be.Thank's. Mick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not aware of a Kawasaki full rebuild kit. You have to figure out which parts you need and order each one from Kawasaki or find the HD equivalent.

      Delete
  7. That's what I thought thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to let you know that while the airscrew will fit,the washer and spring do not,they are both too wide,trust me,i just tried to fit them.Also if you buy the extended screw with the knurled head,the one that claim's to be easy to turn without burning your hand's on the pipe's,it is'nt,the shaft is an inch too short and snag's on the Y piece of the hose's.I wish i could post photo's here to show you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird. I lost the washer and I think o-ring and robbed parts from a Harley carb and it fit.

      Delete
    2. You could be right mate,an original Harley one might fit,i bought the extended screw with the knurled knob that was meant for a Harley and they dont,
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400977594223?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

      Delete
  9. Do you know what the differences are for a pre 2008 CVK 40 VS post 2008

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have a part number for the emulsion tube for harly went to store today was told 105 for the tube. Are the jets the same meaning is a kawasaki 52 pilot the same as the 52 Harley pilot or is there a diff in numbers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part number 27101-88 from a Harley dealer or p/n CVP-VTube from CV Performance.

      Delete
  11. CVK40 plastic vent fitting broke off. Is there a part number for this piece. It's the compressed fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you use a Harley vacuum piston in a Kawasaki cv carb?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to know how to rebuilt transmission vn1500 classic 1997

    ReplyDelete
  14. Couldn't I just swap out the CVK40 with a CV40 then replace the air filter housing base with a HD base?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What size main jet do I use for my vn 1500 96 model and how do they fit in my vn 1500 96 model with 3 harley carb 40mm

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a 2003 kawasaki vulcan 800 clasic I've been in the process of bobbing it and been having trouble with fuel leaks and so I pulled the carb off it is a keihin cvk g200 AGKK I was just going to clean it and change gaskets long story short the main mounts that hold the pin for the float got snapped off now I'm searching all over the internet trying to figure out what cheap oem carb I can put on it a original carb is 500 or more and I have no clue what carb I can use ik this is a dumb move but Im trying to buy one from Amazon for $100 or less it's a 36mm and everything I keep finding is a 40mm

    ReplyDelete