Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bigtwin Oil Pump Check Ball

Bigtwin Harley's will sump a bit a especially after sitting a bit, but this much is way too much. The check valve in the oil pump is a ball and spring, item 11 and 12 on this diagram. I read about this fix. It looked good, but I didn't want to take off the pump. If replacing the ball and spring doesn't fix it, I will try lapping the seat. Clamp off the gravity feed. Remove the inside cap. Here's the cap and spring out. You would think that a steel ball in an aluminum hosing would come out easily with a magnet on a stick, but that didn't work. The oil around the ball wouldn't let the ball out that easy. I has to use the mighty vac to get it out. It also helped to get any crud that may be in there hanging the valve open. The ball had a nice wear mark from the seat so hopefully the new ball and spring will fix the problem.

8 comments:

  1. Check this post, too. http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot.com/2013/08/more-big-twin-oil-pump-check-balls.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I needed that - Same problem - and this engine was suppose to be rebuilt ! Ha !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check your Relief Valve next to it at the pump to see if you have one installed. The bike I bought, a '76 Glide, puked oil after it set sometimes overnight, sometimes not and then I checked the Relief Valve and saw that I didn't have one. Well, it helped having one. Still pukes, just not as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the screw 24 on the parts graphic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pastor that's the rear chain oiler adjustment screw

    ReplyDelete
  7. As simple as this turned out to be there is an amazing lack of information on the topic. I just ordered the parts I need and hopefully the breather "puking" will be done or at least be minimized. Thanks

    ReplyDelete