Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Screws

I always thought the screws on my Kawasaki where made of soft cheap metal, because I always was rounding out the heads with my screwdrivers and I have replaced a lot of them with allen heads. As tool geek I was shocked when I finally learned the truth; I have been using the wrong screwdriver on every screw on the bike. These screws and all screws that have a dot on head are Japanese crosspoints and you need the proper drivers. Available here and here.

Here are some examples of the screws with a dot and these are just from the carburetor. As you can see some of these have already been damaged by the wrong tool.









Here's an example from the master cylinder.

1 comment:

  1. More great sources for JIS stuff.
    http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/impact/view-all-products.html

    http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_item_detail.cfm?subcat_ID=138

    ReplyDelete