Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

Shovelhead 4 Speed Saga Part 2b - Kicker Seal

I said I was going to use everything trick to seal up this transmission that Ray "Saddlebagrail" has ever written up and I will. This how he seals the kick shaft. First make a counter bore in the kick shaft hole, 1.0625 inch diameter and 0.1875 inch deep. There are lots of way to machine that depending your equipment and abilities. I don't have pictures of mine being done, but a friend used a CNC horizontal mill to circle interpolate the counterbore. More equipment than should be needed, but if you have one and know how to use it, then why not use it. Here's the machined cover. My black wrinkle paint has worn off a bit and some of the copper strike under the chrome is showing, but I'm not going to redo the paint.


Clean with brake cleaner, but not too much or it will etch the paint.


Here's the seal. National(Timken) 7929S. It's readily available at more autoparts houses.


Loctite 7471 Primer and 620 retaining compound. (Ray uses 7649 and 680, but this should be close enough.)


I used the primer on both pieces and let it dry. I then only put the primer on the edge of the seal. I didn't put any on the counterbore because I didn't want any compound to run into the bore.


Ready to drive in.


Using a "special" bearing drive and a hammer to carefully drive it in evenly. If I was thinking I would have used the kickshaft itself to drive it in.


Wipe off the excess compound and it should be good to go. I will still use the stock o-ring in between the bushings when I build up the transmission.


No comments:

Post a Comment