The time one alternator crapped out and I almost didn't make it home on my 1500 Vulcan, got me thinking about a voltmeter. I have been running a Kuryakyn voltmeter on my shovelhead for quite a while and it's a good unit, but I've always want something smaller and cleaner. ChengDave turned me on to the Sparkbright units from England. I've heard a ton of great things about them and wanted to see if I liked them.
So I ordered one and got to thinking about how to mount it. Does anyone remember this mostly worthless bit of chrome dress up from the Fire and Steel catalog?
Well I found a plain one, NOS, on Ebay for like $25 delivered not $76.95. I figured I would be at least $25 or so into a set of HD risers if I want to find something with a nice "bridge" base to mount stuff to.
I taped and marked my top clamp. One side gets the Sparkbright and one side gets the spot clock.
Pre-drill the start hole.
Make the big hole.
Mount it up on the bars. I bought the big LED so I knew I would need some clearance behind it, too.
Transfer punch to start the hole.
Center drill. At this point, I should have used a small bit to go all the way through the bar, but I didn't.
Cut the big hole in the bar.
Transfer the hole to the other. I only need a small hole for the tiny wires to pass through.
Wire hole drilled.
I can't deburr the hole with the handlebars installed.
Clean off the sharp edges.
Feed the wire and mock-up the LED.
Add some black shrink tube to cover the wires.
I was thinking I wanted to splice into the marker lights so that it would be key on only. I thought I would just solder the connection and cut it if I need to take it apart. But way better, I just unplugged the marker light connection and shoved it all back together.
Green when running is good. The green is a bit hard to see in bright sunlight, but amber and red are easy to spot so that's what's important to notice going down the road. I really dig it.
I ziptied the wires together for extra support, too.
Good to go.