Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fixing the Vulcan headlight

The Vulcan's headlight is rubbermounted. I'm not sure if the stock style tube covers and stock turnsignals keep it tight normally or what, but this thing is too loose now. The headlight hits the top tree when you hit a bump now. I'm working to the assumption that the memphis shades windshield hardware has kept it tight, too. I haven't really run with the windshield until now.


So I put the windshield hardware in place and sure enough it's nice and tight and won't slap the tree every speed bump.


I'm not wanting a windshield now, but I want to have the option in the future, but these tabs are ugly.


Score! I got this brand new set of windshield hardware for $30 deliveried from eBay.

I had a machinist friend remove the tabs.


I originally had to modify the windshield hardware to work with the lightbar so I'll have to figure out how much I took off the plates.


Another look at the difference between the original tabbed bracket and the tab-less version.


Tranfer the width to the new piece.


Remove this much.


Dremel time.

Use all the PPE for this job. Ear plugs, safety glasses, and gloves.


The newly modified stuff fits and the headlight is tight.



The "nuts" in the cross piece are a real pain. Making swapping these parts a challenge that would require three hands so Bierkan suggested JB Welding those in place. Good call. "Mix equal parts on a disposable surface."



The sent the pieces to the powder coater. Satin Black.


Installed. Looking good with no shaking, tree slapping, and no tabs.




No comments:

Post a Comment