Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2014

More on ignition weights and such

I went to buy new weights, but all I could get quickly was a full set of points with all the hardware, too. That's okay; I'll have some extra stuff for about the same money. Racerjim made a good point about checking to be sure the sides of the cone would clear a new set of weights and yet it appears that one side is a bit tight.

So I filed it down a bit and cleaned out the shavings.

I have messaging back and forth with HaWgRyder, too. I was trying to figure out his tip about drilling a hole in the points plate to allow the weights to be lubricated without pulling the points plates. Hopefully, I am following what he said correctly. His suggestion was a 3/8 inch hole about the 7 o'clock position. And don't try to drill with the plate installed in the cone.

Get this wire out of the way.

Center punch.

Center drill to start a hole.

Step drill just like OCC does.

Seems good.

A quick look and you can see the posts.

And check the springs, too.

But with everything in place, oops that's not a great place for a hole.

Make a new hole there as well.

That works.

I'm going to try these roller bearing style weights this time.

A little bit of grease.

All reassembled.

Weights into the cone.

New stand offs from the kit. Timing marks nice and lined up.

Hmmm... lots of extra hardware from the kit.

Yep, the old stand offs had washer and lock washers.

Let's redo that.

All back together. I swapped the tiny allen heads for the phillips from the kit to make it easier to mess with on the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment