Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

How to Tap and Block Shovelhead Tappet Blocks

This may be common knowledge, but it gave me common problems. I had been running solid lifters in the motor when it was 80 inches without issues other than the occasional pushrod tube leak. I figured some leaks were to expected and I could fix them easily enough when they happened.

I decided to buy a set of BigJim's handmade leak proof pushrod tubes in stainless steel. I put them together with his seals on the new 93 inch stroker and they seemed to leak worse than anything I tried before. So I did some more research and whatever reason strokers running solid lifters need the tappet block feeds blocked off. I had heard of this before, but given my experience with my 80 and solid lifters, I thought it optional, but not anymore.

Per S&S Sidewinder instructions. It really is that simple.


Tappet block on the bench and that little tic is the No. 8-32 X 3/16 set screw.


There's the no. 8-32 tap going in perfectly into the hole with no pre-drilling required.


Looking good.


Set screw fitting good.


Tap the other block and test fit it. Then remove the set screws and wash all the chips away. Definitely need to keep the metal chips out of the engine.


Rinse and blow dry.


I hit everything with some WD-40 to further avoid the flash rust.


Put the screws in place and you're ready to go back up.


I got the motor back together and the bike still has issues, but leaking pushrod tubes ain't one.

No comments:

Post a Comment