So Jason(shovel4life) couldn't get the drum on this ratchet to roll over to 3rd or 4th gear when he put the pawl carrier, pawls, and pawl springs in place. It's been a while since I rebuilt my ratchet lid. He was looking over that post and trying to figure it out. He finally figured out the grooves in the pawls should fit a roll pin to keep the pawls from rolling around and keep the pawl teeth inline with the splines on the end of the shift drum.
Here's his pawl carrier. The two tiny holes near the bottom should have roll pins in them.
The roll pins should stick out into the holes where the pawls ride. See the hole in the right hole of this picture?
Here's close up. There are remnants of the roll pins still in there.
Here's the roll pin you need. We couldn't find any mention of replacing or inspecting these roll pins in any Harley manual we had. However, the local independent shop had them for a quarter.
Roll pins, how hard could this be? I got my trusty roll pin punch, no it was way too tight.
Heat maybe? Okay this is probably were I should have slowed down and re-evaluated the situation. I should have heated and cooled this a few times(my dad's advice the next day) and/or soaked it in ATF/Acetone(P-oil) overnight or something. But it's roll pins how hard can it be?
Heat didn't help so I tried doing some drilling. Nope.
How about using the new one to press out the old? That new pin shot off somewhere in my garage never to be seen again.
A short nail to press it out? Nope.
Finally ,with a 1/16 punch, working around the edges of the roll pin and I got this far.
Now when the punch breaks the second time quit using it; because the third time it breaks, you leave a piece of punch in the hole that is bigger than the hole should have been to start. That's very bad.
I managed to get the other pin out by drilling out some of the middle with a 1/16 bit and then working it out with a new 1/16 punch that broke twice, but luckily not in the hole.
I had to quit working on this, because I had my son's birthday party to go. So Jason went to Lummie's to get things done. They promised me pictures, but I don't think they really got any.
The pin and broken punch were removed. They drilled a hole in the backside of the pawl carrier and oversize drilled the pin hole. Then welded up both holes and redrilled the pin hole and installed the pin.
This was way more work than it should have been, but typical for a 40 year old bike.