Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2014

Fixing the 1500 Vulcan Alternator

So the stator is bad. I got to doing research on a replacement. The regulators are the same part number for inner and outer. That makes sense, but the stators show two part numbers and some aftermarket units show either fitment. So what's the difference? Denny606 had it figured out. The stator are basically the same, but the length of the wires are different. Here's a side-by-side comparison(image stolen from ebay) not the case joint rubber location specifically.


So Talon sent me an inner to see if I could make it work as an outer.



The shift lever and cover need to come off.


The bolts are different lengths so take note of the order.


This bad stator doesn't look too awfully smoked out.


One of the ignition pick-ups needs to be removed. Curiously, it's not marked as JIS with a dot, but it was a JIS based on my fit tests.


If you want to work on Japanese bikes then you need JIS screwdrivers. This one is a Vessel Impacta. It's got the impact driver built in. I don't think I could have gotten this thing about without it.


Another hold down.


I have the No. 3 version of the Impacta as well.


The backside looks a little more smoked out.


Yep. Definitely a shorter lead.


I'm not real sure if I will need to solder a longer lead on or what. But the outer wrap outside the case rubber needs to go.


The case rubber was originally stuck in position. I poked an awl around each of the wires in the rubber and I managed to get the rubber to come loose and slide up and down the wires. Perfect!


Put everything back together.


Put the dowel in the main case and gasket on the dowels. If you try it the other way, the magnet of the rotor will pull the gasket off the outer cover every attempt to put it together.


Don't forget the shifter pivot, too.


Don't pinch these wires either.


So I have it together.  I left the plug on it so I can use the other regulator to check the stator. I should have checked the outer regulator with the inner stator before I cut the plug off the outer regulator.


WHEW HOO! The stator is charging fine with the inside regulator.

So now I need to solder it to the outer stator wires.


Looking good.


HOORAY!! This rigged up stator/regulator combo charges great, well over 14 volts. Even over 14 volts with both alternators hooked up and the spots running, too. Success.

2 comments: