Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Clutch and front brake lines

Route and measure the stock front brake line. Looks like I need about 3 1/2 more inches.


Remember this post about the custom lines? I had the brake line built to match...


but put this on the other end. It is a touch narrower than the stock eye, but it works. So next time I want black cover stainless lines, I will use these ends and the extra long shrink wrap from Steve's wholesale, but this will work for this build.


Clutch line installed...


and routed.



I used all new banjo washer and torqued everything per the book.


Then I tightened the piss out of the AN-3 fittings.




Fill and bleed both lines. Like this. http://gadgetjq.com/hydraulic_bleed.htm Pat fills and I bled.




With the clutch line done, the cover goes on, unless the fitting is in the way and you have to loosen and reroute it a bit.

Shift levers on.


Floorboard on.


I'd throw the stock tank on and go for ride except the battery is bad and I won't have any more blowing money for two more weeks.

2 comments:

  1. J.P. I've been reading thru your stuff for awhile..lotta useful stuff for my
    own Vulcan. Finally got a suggestion from me to you instead of the other way around. Raise the front end of the floorboards about 1 1/2"
    The orignal bobbers I've seen mostly are like that, and the 30's-40's flattreackers are too.

    http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/davidabl2/?action=view&current=xGERRITY40HDlf.jpg

    http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/davidabl2/DicEMorningafter2010/?action=view&current=1KnuckBob.jpg

    A lotta more over the top bobbers had 'boards that tipped up more than these two..i just haven't taken time to look thru me pics collection.

    I'm in the process of making mine from 7/8" alu round stock--but may have to get something bigger. Cutting a slot in the top to accept the floorboard tab, and a peg at the bottom end to drop into the receiver on the mount. And relieve the tab on the back of the 'board anough so it still fits its receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhmmmm... I hadn't paid that much attention, but you may be onto something there. I went and looked at everything. Tipping the boards could be easily done on this Vulcan with a trianglar flat piece of steel. The look would be cool and the riding stance would be somewhere between forwards and regular floorboards.


    I would love to run halfmoon boards, too, but that would take a bunch of fab. It would be nice to raise the whole boards, because they do drag a bit, but the exhaust and shiftshaft make that pretty difficult, too.

    ReplyDelete