Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

CT70 Rear shock rebuild

So once I had my old shocks apart.

I sent these to scooter from the lilhonda.com board.


And amazingly this is what I got back.


Check out that finish.


The springs and beercans got the powdercoat treatment.


I had to find the bushings and spacers. The wide parts are for the top shock eye and the narrow parts the bottom shock eye.


Work those into place.


Load up the shock in the tool.


Spring on.(That crank is a part of the drill press, unrelated to what I'm working on here.)


Beercan on.


Top of the tool on.


Crank down on the nuts until the nut shows up. Make sure the shock is extended and the rod didn't drop.


Hold the nut.


Add the top eye.


One together and ready to run.


Repeat and you have a set of faux-Öhlins.


2 comments:

  1. Firstly, thank you for the epic blog, most helpful. Secondly, I was under the impression that the rear shocks cannot be rebuilt - did you simply paint and replace the spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, on 1980-to 82 there is a coating from Honda on the springs.. is it powdercoat? Do you have Scooters contact info? I had been hunting for a pair of OEM CT70 springs for my 81 (rare since they made fewer 80s bikes).. anyway.. your springs turned out awesome. Would like to have whoever restored yours do mine.. I see his profile on Lilhonda but dont see how to message him.

    ReplyDelete