Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

electrical problems

Dang shovelhead left me walking again or at least calling for truck to haul me home. Battery died out. I thought geez not again I just put this battery in like two months ago. Should I get a bigger battery and figure out how to bolt that thing down tighter?

Some troubleshooting showed that battery was at 11.37 V and that should work, but turn the key on and the voltage drops like a rock down to like 4.

I have four 10 amp fuses and none had blown. So I turn the key on with only one fuse in at a time. Headlight circuit is causing the voltage drop or that could still be a weak battery, because the headlight is the biggest draw on the system. I pulled the headlight bulb and the voltage still dropped like crazy, so something is shorted somewhere. It's either a pinched wire or my fancy hi-lo latching relay crapped. If it's the relay then a heavy duty switch is going in instead, and the cool push button set-up just won't work on this bike.

I'll pull the right tank and start looking and checking.

No comments:

Post a Comment