Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Splitting Shovelhead Crankcases

I only thought I was ready to split cases. There's still a lot things in the camchest.


This funny nut needs to come out. The manual I had didn't mention it, but I had a tip that it maybe left handed. I bumped it both ways and yes it is left handed.


Pinion gear pulls off.


Woodruff key.


Oil pump worm gear and spacer slide off.



Another woodruff key.


It's hard to get a picture of, but there is a snap ring on the holding the oil pump drive gear to the oil pump drive shaft.


Pull the oil pump driveshaft, then get the gear and woodruff key out.


Now we can split the cases.


All the socket head bolts come out except the timing plug (the big old headed one at 12 o'clock)


The Delkron bolts are a different set-up than stock studs I believe.


I knocked the wristpens out and removed the pistons, but didn't get a shot. I pulled one wrist pen keeper from the front piston, but the rear was already missing a keeper and ready to go.

I put the motor on the left side on pallet so the output shaft had a place to go.


A whack or two and ...


Presto! Split cases!


The crank assembly stays in the left case until you press it out. That will be done on Sunday when I have access to nice press.

No comments:

Post a Comment