Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Most of the Handlebar Wires to the Main Harness

Way back in April I got serious about wiring, then fizzed out when the rest of life got in the way.

Well here we get back to getting this thing together. I bought this spiral wrap off of eBay for this job and it's not quite big enough for everything. I'll need to figure out something else.


I did these connections for the headlight in April, but I don't like them now. So I ripped them apart again. So much for progress.


I don't like the wires I spliced to the headlight socket either. They were too heavy for my liking, so I need to redo those.


Fresh leads with smaller wires.


Some good news, the wrap will work nicely for the headlight bucket wires. The split wrap will help, because two wires will connect at the handlebars and the ground wire will go back to the ground block between the tanks.


Back to the main harness from the bars. Hiding the wires on a conventional hydraulic front end is pretty easy, just drill a hole or two in the top triple tree and route the wire down the neck and frame. Like this.


A springer is different. The top tree is tiny and routing the wires through it means they lay really close to the springs and risk a pinch for sure.

So my plan was adjusted to run the right side handlebar wires to the right of the neck and backbone and the left wires on the left. The exposed parts of the wiring I will cover with shrink wrap.


This is better. Hopefully a lot better with the tanks on. I'm only using re-useable zip ties at this point for sure.


Here's everything for the left side, to include the voltmeter from the middle of the bars. And yes, despite my efforts to have everything clearly color coded, I have big duplication of wire colors; black and black with white paired wire set for both the horn and the voltmeter.


Luckily the voltmeter wires are easily identified. A 9 volt battery will light it up, but won't hurt the horn button wires if you check them the same way.



Here's the left side cleaned up.


At this point I think I ran out of connectors again and then I tried to install solid riser bushings on the springer and that didn't work out because I had the wrong kit. Remember this?

No comments:

Post a Comment