Well after seeing how well my "drive fast, take chances" approach to oil filtration worked out. I decided I need an oil filter. This thing came with the pile of parts.
But it was ugly as homemade sin and the PO had mounted in between the front downtubes. I think I have a less ugly place to hide it.
First off let's get rid of these jury rigged fittings.
$10 at ACE. Was it really that hard to find the proper fittings the first time?
This is were it can go. Mounted to the rear fender.(I hope this isn't one of those seemed-like-a-good-ideas.)
Fab a backing plate.
Transfering the holes was less than ideal, but it fits.
I waited to cut it out until I knew the holes would work.
I used the holder with the filter to check clearances and to mark the spot.
Then the backing plate to mark the hole locations.
Center punched. Center drilled. Even getting a right angle drill in here was tricky.
A block of wood protected the tire from the drill bits.
That was alot trickier than it should have been.
Pulled the carriage bolts into the backing plate with a spacer and a nut.
Fishing the backing plate into the fender was yet another challenge.
Nuts and washers to draw the plate up tight.
Teflon tape for the fittings.
Down and back with the barbs.
On with the filter holder.
This was the easiest nut to get tightened. The other two completely sucked to get at with anything.
Hopefully this is the last time I have to touch those nuts.
This is going to be messy to swap out, but it doesn't look bad back here, except it does resemble an electric starter.