Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Flushing the lube system

I went to put my push rods in when I realized that I hadn't put my rockerbox oil lines on. I decided it would be a good idea to clean the oil tank, change the oil, and install the oil lines before I did a bunch of kicking with the old oil.

Here's my way to drank the oil tank. Prop the bike onto its right with a piece of black iron pipe.



Disconnect the gravity feed.


Drain oil.


I had a brillant idea to flush the tank with brake cleaner.


OOOOOOOPPPPSSS! Where the straw go? Oh no, into the tank.


I figured that I could pull the tank easily and give it a real thorough flush easily enough. I didn't realize it when I started into it, but everything I had mounted to after the oil tank had come off or get loosened to get the tank off; the buddy pegs, toolbox, oil filter mount, fuse box, battery, chainguard, and saddlebag.

I already knew this was a problem. The battery tender connection got rubbed in the chain or tire. So I can fix that when the battery is out.


This a problem. My homemade battery box is rubbing the battery. I'm glad I found this now.



The remember the oil filter nuts I never wanted to touch again? Yeah those had to come out.


Finally got the tank out.


Found the straw.


Flushed the tank with dishsoap and lots of water.


Put into the 100+ degree sun to dry out, then I quit for the day.


Bonus flushing! The rest of the oil in the pump came out over night. I broke down and bought the Chinese Craftsman open end ratcheting wrenches to help out going together. I would have bought these along time ago at twice the price if they had been USA Craftsman.

No comments:

Post a Comment